- You want to nurse or pump before you exercise
- You want to make sure to drink plenty of water (6-8 ounces every 15-20 minutes of exercise)
- You want to make sure to support your breasts. A good sports bra should be supportive, have ample room and wide non-elastic straps. It is recommended to wear two sports bras for extra support if needed. Choosing a bra made of 100% cotton will lower the risk of irritation of breasts and nipples.
- Eat a healthy snack after the exercise
- A few studies has shown that lactic acid may accumulate in breast milk, which may cause some babies to reject it due to the sour taste. However, this is ONLY with high intensity anaerobic workouts, such as interval training. The lactid acid will also go away after about 30-60 minutes after the end of the exercise. Although most women will not exercise at intensities high enough to cause lactic acid accumulation, those women who are concerned about it may easily avoid the risk of having her baby reject her milk by nurse or pump before exercising, and by waiting a little while after exercise before nursing again!
References (see below) 2,6 & 7?